Should you let employees work from home? At least 86% of professionals prefer to work alone to hit maximum productivity and telecommuting presents them with that opportunity. Remote work also offers employees more job flexibility, a perk that is growing in demand for workers throughout Atlantic Canada and worldwide. Though mobile and networking technologies enable telework, organizations need to carefully plan out the launch and execution of their program if they hope to manage remote workers at full efficiency. Whether your employees always telecommute or only do so on occasion, here are the workforce strategies, secure cloud solutions, and productivity tools that will get the full ROI from remote workers.
Put Cybersecurity Measures in Place
Cybercriminals are always finding new ways to jeopardize sensitive business data for business large and small, so it’s important to mitigate any potential threats in advance. Before approving a telecommuting program, be sure to initiate security measures and communicate with remote workers about how to keep their devices and your data safe:
- Narrow Avenues of Attack – One of the challenges of managing remote teams is that they are accessing company data on home networks with questionable security measures. If lax security is in place, hackers can use employees’ networks and devices as bridges over your defenses and firewalls. Encouraging employees to lock their Wi-Fi networks, use antivirus and antimalware programs, and limit which devices connect to work networks helps to lessen potential threats.
- Employ Encryption – On your side, be sure to encrypt any sensitive data that could be destructive in the wrong hands. That way, if that information is seized by cybercriminals, they are unable to leverage that data to their advantage.
Keep Coworkers Connected
Though remote workers are removed from office distractions, they experience a greater barrier to regular communication. Without regular updates or feedback, projects can begin to stall. Effective remote workforce management functions when the team is provided with platforms and tools that facilitate streamlined interactions. Microsoft cloud services and other tools work to overcome any physical distance between your team to ensure that everyone is at their most productive.
- Skype for Business – The growing reliability of video conferencing platforms have made remote meetings more effective than before. Video conferencing platforms like Skype now have better call quality and allow for more seamless screen sharing to simulate an in-person meeting for those outside the office. Remote employees can even send quick messages back and forth to get answers to pressing questions as they arise.
- Yammer – This tool allows for more ongoing communication. Remote employees can share ideas, provide feedback, and crowdsource answers from their coworkers. Conversations are easily referenced at later dates, helping your team to propel projects in the right direction.
Managing remote employees successfully is contingent upon how well you keep them accountable and collaborative. Telecommuting programs thrive when managers and the entire team can communicate quickly in the moment and encourage the completion of project tasks on time. Several Microsoft tools make that more achievable.
- Microsoft Teams – This feature consolidates a number of Microsoft tools into one, integrating project-relevant conversations, content, and team members on one platform. To those who use it correctly, Microsoft Teams provides greater organization of remote resources and helps to accelerate timelines and reduce costs in the long run – even when your employees are miles away from one another.
Simplify the Way You Manage Remote Workers
Another key component of leading a remote workforce is to provide them with dependable tech solutions. That means staying aware of the latest innovations and being able to maintain that technology without any interruption in service. Unfortunately, trying to monitor all of those factors of a successful telecommuting program can be a major burden while you’re trying to focus on the performance of your core business.
Instead, bringing in experienced managed IT support services to handle the technology side of your remote work program can remove substantial barriers. That way, you get to outsource all of the hassle of researching and maintaining tech solutions while getting the right tools and maximizing productivity.
Want to learn more about how to get the best performance when managing remote workers? Contact us to explore your IT options.